Friday, June 5, 2015

Graduation



Graduation caps are ugly and there is no way to fix that. People may decorate them or scour Pinterest for tutorials on how to pin them back (note: while this sort of works, it will feel like you're always about to lose your cap. It's probably not worth it.), but that doesn't hide the fact that it's a piece of cardboard resting on top of your head. Let's not even get into tassels, especially dysfunctional ones that fall apart every few minutes.  

But seriously. Like I've said before - I don't like being told I don't get to do something. I was jump up and down in my seat excited to wear a cap, gown, and tassel. But Pomp & Circumstance started my stomach totally flopped. 

Why was I so nervous?!

Seriously, there's nothing to be scared about, but I'm pretty sure every graduate feels similar right before the ceremony. That sort of rush of *is this really happening?* *I thought only grown ups graduated* *Does that make me one of the grown ups? That's weird.* *What if I fall or drop the diploma or something?*

I didn't fall. I didn't drop my diploma. I am an adult (with no intentions of growing up ;) -kidding-). I didn't give a speech (except to say thank you :) ). I walked down the aisle. I pledged allegiance to the flag. I watched and laughed at pictures in the slideshow. My stomach flopped again when it was announced that the presentation of the diplomas was about to begin. My mom gave a wonderfully sweet speech, my dad handed me my diploma, and that was it. I got to stand up and turn my tassel in front of a church of people. -I got to toss that hideous hat off of my head- 


Since I didn't make a speech, I thought I'd write a few words here instead. 


I mentioned in my 'thank-you' that my parents were supportive. To give you an idea of just how supportive they are, I came downstairs one day and said that, even though I'd been planning on going to a particular college for about five years, I wanted to stay home to make a documentary and start a theatre group. Instead of telling me that it probably wasn't smart to put off education, they told me that they loved the idea and would support me regardless of what I decided to do. 

I don't know how to express in words all that my parents have done for me. Especially when it comes to my education. I'm so thankful that I was homeschooled. It's not right for everyone, but it was just right for me (even though I didn't always see it). As the 'test child' ( ;) ), I got to experience a large variety of curricular. We joke about how my mom doesn't like to stick to one curriculum, but in all seriousness, I liked it. I liked switching it up before I got bored. I like consistency, but when it comes to learning, I tend to zone out when it gets monotonous. Thankfully, it never did. :)

When I say that I like consistency, I mean that I don't like change. I don't like trying new things because it's scary. I need to be pushed into things. My poor parents have had to stay up with me talking and talking and talking to convince me to make decisions. Because of those talks and gentle pushes, I've become a more decisive (and sometimes impulsive, but in my case that's a positive) and independent person.

So I'm sending this big thank you out to my parents for always being there for me, supporting me, and pushing me when I needed it. 

1 comment :

  1. Hey, it wouldnt be a graduation hat if it wasnt ugly. :)

    ReplyDelete