Monday, October 20, 2014

Small Town Girl Meets Big City


You know those farm calendars that every home magazine advertises? The ones with pictures of horses and windmills silhouetted against a blue sky with puffy clouds, barns and silos, bright pink and orange sunsets, trees in every shape and color? That's my life. That's what I see on a daily basis and it's beautiful. I love it.

It throws me off when I go into a big city. Normally my idea of 'big city' is someplace with over 20,000 people. That seems huge to me.

My state capitol is an actual Big City. 

People everywhere.

Driving that turns your hair gray. I trust my parents driving. I even usually trust my own driving. It's other people's driving I don't trust. I personally don't understand how there aren't more car accidents in big cities, to be honest. 

And the parking? Worse than the driving. People who want a decent parking space have to be ready to hand over pocketfuls of change.

Plus, the faint smell of mustard and cigarettes just isn't as nice as leaves and grass. (though, to be honest, the country doesn't always smell super pleasant...)

BUT

I don't hate big cities.

Actually, I sort of like them.

I like that there are so many people. Everywhere. Especially the ones with hair colors I'd never be brave enough to try.

I like that there is a shop for anything and everything.

I like the crazy sights, sounds, and even smells. The vendors selling popcorn, the street musicians, the birds that flock around a day-old loaf of bread.

I like all of the little communities that make up one big, huge community. Everything sort of gets mashed together in a big city and it's only when you get close and into it that you see all the individuality.

Which is sort of cool.

But, like I said, if I ever end up living in a big city, I'm walking everywhere. No driving.






1 comment :

  1. LOL..."hair colors I'd never be brave enough to try."

    ReplyDelete