Sunday, May 24, 2015

In Which I Got To Be Cinderella

After actively planning prom for six months (and mentally planning for four years...), it actually happened. 

I don't like being told that I don't get to do something. I didn't like answering 'So, what do you do for prom?' whenever anyone found out I was homeschooled (anyone else notice how that's usually the first question? Access to prom does not define an education, people. They can be incredibly fun, though. :) ). When the opportunity to head up the prom committee fell in my lap, I couldn't say no!

1 week before-

Who knew it would take over an hour and a half to add straps to a dress? Not this girl. 

When I was done, though, I stayed in the dress for about an hour because, well, why not?

I found shoes last minute at Goodwill. After a two hour supper, the shoes made it into the prom building, but came off before the first dance. I don't recommend going barefoot at prom. You're feet will get stepped on and will get covered in dirt, but hopefully the adrenaline will cover up any pain until you get home at 1am. 


2 days before-

I tried out my fake nails so I could get used to them by dance day. Probably not the best idea. Two of them disappeared into thin air over the course of prom night and one of them got stuck in my hair -during a dance- -with a boy-  (I don't think he noticed me casually toss my fingernail onto a nearby table...I did pick it up at the end of the song, in case you were wondering.)

Day of-

I woke up at 5am, showered, set things out, and headed out to start decorating. Mom warned me that decorating would take longer than I thought it would. I didn't believe her. 


But I should have.


I was so thankful for my committee. After over three hours of tulle twirling and lantern hanging, everything was done.



One Wal-Mart and Burger King stop later and I got home to curl my hair in ten minutes before dance class. (Going out into the world with curlers is an experience that is not only humbling, but hilarious.)


The after.



To my little sister's dismay and not my own, I didn't have a prom date. However, while taking pictures, mom noticed this iguana/lizard thing. I decided that I should take a picture with him. He was my official date for the five seconds it took to take the picture. He then got tossed in the grass.

I didn't take any pictures during prom itself, so you'll have to trust me when I say that it was one of the best nights of my life. I was definitely biased, but everything turned out just as I hoped it would. Doing the grand march to Through Heaven's Eyes from Prince of Egypt, taking committee pictures in the photo booth, and laughing about obnoxious things made all of the planning and stress absolutely and 100% worth it.


Take down was made less depressing by the fact that we had a bunch of food to eat up. Plus, I got so distracted by talking to wonderful people, that by the time I had changed out of my dress, other wonderful people had taken care of the worst of it. 

Even though it was quarter to 1 by the time I pulled into my driveway, I couldn't sleep until after 2am because of all the adrenaline rushing through my brain.



I ate very little at prom itself. The next morning, however, I had one of the amazing left-over red velvet cupcakes for part of my breakfast. Even though it hurt to move (definitely regretting the 'no-shoe' decision), the cupcakes and boxes of masks, lanterns, beads, and candles made it all better.

4 comments :

  1. Wow, seems like you had a lot of fun!!! I can't wait 'till I'm old enough... (which is in two years. :/) And I just LOVE the dress!!! It is so pretty!
    Yeah, Marie, Lydia, Peter and I were kinda looking at the room from the doorway while dropping Evan off. I loved the decor too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I maybe saw you guys, you should've come in and said hi. :)

      I really liked the dress, too! Thrift stores are amazing! ;) Two years will give you enough time to plan everything out so you won't stress out last minute like I did. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha!!!! Yeah. Mom and I are already talking about making a dress for the Civil War Ball as well as the prom. It's fun looking at dress patterns too!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh Maddi! First of all, you looked gorgeous!

    Secondly, I laughed so hard that I cried while I was reading about your fake nails! Oh...guy....that's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete