Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Body Image Epidemic | My Rambling Rant of the Day

I've been told that I'm 'too skinny' and that I need to gain weight. I've had friends tell me that they've been called 'fat', when all I see in them is a beautiful person. Every single person has been made differently. If everyone fit into this 'ideal' weight category, there wouldn't be any individuality and the world would lose a part of its beauty.

Telling someone, boy or girl, that they're too big or too small is never right. Making someone feel terrible about something they can't control is bullying.

That being said.

I'm not a fan of the new 'embrace who you are' songs being played on the radio. Not because I don't think that women (and men) should be comfortable with what they look like, but because most of these songs tend to have a sexual undertone.

There's a difference between feeling beautiful and being objectified.

Songs like Anaconda (Disclaimer: this is the most graphic song I have ever heard and don't recommend looking it up if you're unfamiliar with it) and All About that Bass claim to be sending 'woman empowerment' messages. Striving for the perfect body doesn't empower you because there is no such thing. There are healthy bodies, but there aren't perfect bodies. You aren't better if you have more or less in different part of you. 

God made humans in his likeness. He made each person carefully and purposefully. God loves beauty, and he gave humans an appreciation for beautiful things. When that idea of beauty get twisted, bad things happen.  Songs that give young girls the message that they need to be a certain way to be right for a guy are shaping them to believe that the end goal should be to please someone else. I don't want my little sister growing up to think that beauty is defined by the size of a person's rear end or whether or not they have a 'thigh gap'. 

What I'm basically trying to say is be nice to people

Don't ever make someone feel as if they aren't beautiful. Don't ever make someone feel like they're less of a person. Everyone is beautiful, so treat them that way. I've never met an 'ugly' person and I don't see the point of lying to someone about the way that they look just so you can feel better about yourself.

1 comment :

  1. Wow!! I agree on ALL of that!! Even though I'm really young, I still agree with that. Mom talks about that stuff all the time and keeps us away from that stuff. (Even though I know about it.)
    Yep... I also agree on the first paragraph you put up. When I was younger I was told I was "fat" but now my dad says I'm skinny and need to gain weight. Really?? I just want to have that left alone.
    PS: I don't think your "too skinny".

    ReplyDelete