Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A First Time For Everything - Part 1

There's a first time for everything.


I'm not a 'first time' person. I get that doing things I've never done before is important and helps me grow as a person and everything. I just really dislike the idea of things until I'm used to them.

The first time I tried canning, I burned my toe. I ended up burning my hands and arms at different times, of course, but I managed to burn my big toe first. (It takes talent, I tell you ;) )

The first time I ever went driving, I had to get pulled out of the ditch. Not because the weather was bad or because my instructor failed to tell me something. In fact, it was a sunny, fall afternoon and my ever-patient dad had to coax me into going over five miles per hour. I ended up in the ditch thanks to a combination of my unawareness of the power of acceleration and my lack of turning the steering wheel more than 3 inches at my first stop sign.

So...I put off my first job interview for as long as I could. 

I should wait until I have my license, I wouldn't want my parents to drive me to and from a job...

I'll wait until after summer, I don't know when I'll get scheduled for camp...

I shouldn't get a job when I'm doing so many theatre things...it would just stress me out too much...

Then I got a call from a shop that I'd filled out an application for in a moment of bravery/motivation about five months ago. I listened to the voice-mail a few times to make sure I was hearing it correctly. 

The next morning after literally 20 minutes of building up the courage to call back (the fear of doing new things is real, I tell you), the call didn't go through. Well, it did, but I could hear the other side of the conversation, but the other side of the conversation couldn't hear me. (Hello?....Uhm..hello?)

I took it as a sign that I shouldn't schedule an interview. 

My parents disagreed with the revelation.

I called back, and the interview was scheduled. I was so giddy. I was embarrassingly giddy. 

I've said this millions of times and I'll say it again. Phone calls are so awful. 

Fast forward three days and I'm waiting outside the candy shop (yup, candy shop :) ).

The interview itself wasn't even scary. Don't get me wrong, just because I came out alive doesn't mean I wasn't awkward. Half-way through, some customers knocked on the door and came in. Am I supposed to help them look for something? Should I just stand to the side so it doesn't seem like I'm sucking up? (I stood to the side and attempted some conversation. They did buy a handful of Strawberry Cheesecake Taffy because of my recommendation, so there was that.)

I also answered a questions with 'I'd do anything that needs to be done in the store and make sure there weren't bugs crawling out of the walls or something...not that there would be...I mean...' facepalm

I guess my awkwardness came off as likability, or they -really- needed someone ;) , because I got hired before leaving. 

Again, embarrassing giddiness.





2 comments :

  1. Aw. Of course they hired you!!!!!!!
    And I haven't even tasted the strawberry cheesecake taffy...and I work there. So, you're off for a great start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have always thought working in a candy shop would be fun. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete