Sunday, March 8, 2015

Official Adulthood | A Tale of Spray Paint and Pickles





My first day of adulthood consisted of watching Netflix, a wonderful play practice, Chinese food, a surprise cake, and a movie. In my opinion, there isn't a better way to spend a day.

What's really exciting, though, is buying spray paint. I'm not even kidding. I've been joking about buying spray paint for years, and, by complete coincidence, I ended up needing spray paint (and pickles) a couple days after I legally entered adulthood. A friend of mine had told me about a way to make masks with hot glue, and I wanted to try it out, with black spray paint.

Saturday afternoon, I drove into town and headed straight for the paint section when I entered Wal-Mart. I had promised my Sunday School class a treat for memorizing the 10 Commandments, so (of course) I needed to find the pickles. 

This was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in Wal-Mart. I'm not even kidding.

It hadn't crossed my mind that Saturday afternoon is when all the moms drag along their husbands and kids to go shopping. I say drag because not a single man I saw in the store looked happy to be there. Little kids and grown men with carts were literally lined up at the end of aisles while packs of women wove their way through the shelves to grab what they needed. 

I haven't done much grocery shopping on my own. I know how to get to the milk and bread, but a thing like pickles....Let's just say all the aisles started to look the same, and I had no idea which shelves I had checked.

So there I was, trying not to step on anyone or knock anything over, holding my can of spray paint.

Eventually, I did manage to find the pickles, and I waited in line at the check-out, clinging my pickles and spray paint to my chest (I didn't want anyone to steal them, you know?).

The nice older lady finally rung up my can of paint and the green letters on the screen flashed 'VERIFY CUSTOMER IS 18 OR OLDER', so I pulled out my ID.

"1997 makes you 18?"

"Uhm...yeah." 

"Okay, I'll trust you."

In her defense, I'm sure if I was buying cigarettes she would have made sure that I was 18 instead of trusting my math skills. 

It did make for an anti-climactic 'first carding', though. The spray paint made it better. ;)




I spent a good forty-five minutes gluing on sparkles. It was time very well spent.

3 comments :

  1. Wait, the spray paint wasn't locked away and you didn't have to chase down an employee and feel like a criminal?!?!? No way! ;)

    And that mask is cool beans. I've always wanted to try that. :) (Except, I'm not brave enough to buy spray paint)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on joining the ranks of adults! Like Bethany, I'm not brave enough to buy spray paint yet. I got carded for buying paint before I turned 18. I really didn't know... Anyway, maybe I'll start with glitter spary. You know, exposure therapy? Happy belated birthday Maddi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know, Walmart is the hardest place to shop..... Believe me!!! My mom gets so stressed shopping there!!! :P
    Well, I remember singing happy birthday at play practice... So happy birthday!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete