Friday, March 27, 2015

A First Time For Everything - Part 2 | Rejection



After going over 18 years without having any sort of job interview, I managed to schedule two separate interviews within three days of each other.

Since I was in 3rd grade, I've wanted to be a camp counselor. Little did I know, the process of hiring camp counselors can get much more complicated than 'Are you good with kids?' 'Yup!'.

Over Christmas break I filled out the initial application. A couple of weeks ago I went down to camp and had my interview.

It lasted around an hour and a half and was perfectly awkward. I'd heard about 'the interview' all through my years at camp. And then it happened. And it was over. And I was still alive.

*Something I've been learning is that no matter how much you build something up in your mind and no matter how nervous you are about something, it passes. And you'll survive. Anyways.*

And I didn't get the job.

And it was okay.

That's it. It was okay, and I was okay. I had a moment of disappointment. A moment of I wasn't good enough. Why wasn't I good enough? I'm going to have to see my friends work at this job while I'm at home. 

-but then-

I have my summer free. I can go on vacation. I'm missing out on a summer at my favorite place in the world, but I have a chance to make this summer what I want it to be. It doesn't mean I wasn't good enough, it means that I wasn't meant to be at camp this summer. Other people were meant to be at camp this summer. I was meant to be at a candy store this summer! A candy store!

Speaking of which, I'm just about a week in and I've already had a nightmare about handling fudge without gloves. It's pretty scary, I tell you.

Also. The chocolate cravings. Being around sugar for hours at a time makes me want to eat as much of it as I can. (Luckily, I found this super-delicious, sugar-free, single-serving fudge recipe, and not getting a job is a good excuse to have some chocolate)

I have one of the greatest trainers and some of the sweetest (pun intended) customers. I'm so thankful and so blessed to have the opportunities I have to make this summer my own.

Now I just need to graduate....

My attempt at being deep/hopeful/wistful



1 comment :

  1. I never asked you how your first day at the candy store went! I had the weird-fudge dreams, too (they go away after a little while.) Now my only fear is knocking over the entire glass display case (they do move, btw!!)
    I've told myself the same thing about scary things. Although sometimes I believe I really will die, or somehow the entire awkward/scary situation will never end.
    We all survive, though - how true. ;)
    And hey, if you get bored this summer - come and find me, and we'll do something boring together. :)

    ReplyDelete